Posted On: 02/19/20 5:55 AM
Gianna KneepkensGiannaKneepkens5'11" | CGDuluth Marshall | 2021State#86NationMN, Maggie CzinanoMaggieCzinano6'1" | SFWatertown-Mayer | 2021StateMN, Anna MillerAnnaMiller6'2" | CRochester Mayo | 2021StateMN, Jenna GuyerJennaGuyer6'2" | CCentennial | 2021StateMN and Julia BengtsonJuliaBengtson5'10" | PGBecker | 2021StateMN all had big summers in 2019 as the five talented members of Minnesota’s class of 2021 prepared for their junior year of high school. What a year it has turned out to be for all five of them. As a result, the quintuplet of teens has collectively taken some big steps up the Prep Girls Hoops class of 2021 prospect rankings.
The winter update is now out and here’s what happened in the top 25:
- Gianna KneepkensGiannaKneepkens5'11" | CGDuluth Marshall | 2021State#86NationMN, the Duluth Marshall guard who led the state in scoring last season, rose 7 spots in the rankings all the way up to #7. Along the way she picked up an offer from the University of Minnesota. Kneepkens plays for Minnesota Fury 2021 UAA.
- Maggie CzinanoMaggieCzinano6'1" | SFWatertown-Mayer | 2021StateMN, the 6’0 Watertown-Mayer guard, went up 5 places to #12. She, too, received a scholarship offer from Minnesota and subsequently said, ‘yes!’ Czinano, whose sister Monika plays at Iowa, is Kneepkens’ teammate with the Fury.
- Anna MillerAnnaMiller6'2" | CRochester Mayo | 2021StateMN, the 6’2 forward from Rochester Mayo, rose 9 spots into the #17 position. The 6’3 post continues to get better and, as a result, her high school team has had a very good season. Miller moves up this year to North Tartan EYBL.
- Jenna GuyerJennaGuyer6'2" | CCentennial | 2021StateMN, the 6’2 post from Centennial, continued her ascent, moving up 5 more positions to #23. Guyer was barely in the top 100 a year ago; today she is a versatile power forward earning D1 interest. She’ll moves this summer to North Tartan EYBL where she’ll join Miller.
- Julia BengtsonJuliaBengtson5'10" | PGBecker | 2021StateMN, the Becker point guard, enters the top 25 for the first time, moving up 5 places to #24. Julia has established herself as a high-level floor general. She has also grown a couple of inches over the past few months to 5’10. Julia plays for Minnesota Comets 2021 Elite.
Two other residents of the top 25 made moves up, as well: 6’4 forward Sophie HartSophieHart6'4" | CFarmington | 2021State#44NationMN of Farmington (Fury 2021 UAA) moves up one position to #3, swapping places with Roseau’s Katie BorowiczKatieBorowicz5'6" | PGRoseau | 2021StateMN (Minnesota Stars 2021 Hersch), while Centennial wing Jodi AndersonJodiAnderson5'10" | CGCentennial | 2021StateMN (North Tartan EYBL) rises two positions to #20.
BIG RISERS AMONG THE 2021s
Up 51 – Forest Lake forward Olivia PekronOliviaPekron5'10" | PFForest Lake | 2021StateMN rises from #144 to #93 as her breakout season continues. Pekron will compete for Minnesota Stars Zabel.
Up 27 – St. Agnes wing Brigid BoyleBrigidBoyle6'0" | SFSt. Agnes | 2021StateMN moves from #91 to #64. The Wayne State commit plays for Stars 2021 DeSart.
Up 24 – Mankato West junior Brianna StoltzmanBriannaStoltzman5'8" | CGMankato West | 2021StateMN goes from #119 to #95. The scrappy guard plays for North Tartan 2021 Elite.
Up 21 – Moorhead forward Samantha ZimmermanSamanthaZimmerman5'11" | PFMoorhead | 2021StateMN is rewarded for her improvement with a 21-place rise form #87 to #66. Sam will compete this summer for ND Pro out of Fargo.
Up 18 – Byron’s 6’4 post Sacia VanderpoolSaciaVanderpool6'4" | PFByron | 2021StateMN continues her evolution, going from #44 all the way up to #26. She plays for Tylor Coley’s team, which this year will be called FBC North 2021.
Up 12 – Glencoe-Silver Lake guard Miah MonahanMiahMonahan5'8" | CGGlencoe-Silver Lake | 2021StateMN has earned her way into the Division 1 picture and moves up a dozen places to #31. Miah plays for Fury 2021 UAA.
Up 12 – Kasson-Mantorville guard Avery IrishAveryIrish5'11" | CGKasson-Mantorville | 2021StateMN may fly a little under the radar outside of Southern Minnesota but she also flew 12 places north in the rankings to #113. Irish is a member of Southern Minnesota Fury 2021.
Up 10 – Pine City guard Ellie HaszEllieHasz6'0" | SFPine City | 2021StateMN, a versatile 6-footer and coach’s kid, rises 10 places to #42. Ellie plays for North Tartan 2021 Elite.
Up 10 – Orono guard Haley PaulsonHaleyPaulson5'9" | CGOrono | 2021StateMN transferred last summer from Delano and reappeared after sitting out a season. She came back taller, too, earning a rise to #67 in the class. Paulson will play for 43 Hoops.